Travelers Home & Auto Insurance Review
Are you considering purchasing homeowners insurance or auto insurance from Travelers? Below, we offer an overview of the company, answer the most common questions that potential customers have about Travelers, and provide our honest review so that you can make a more informed decision.
With more than 165 years of history, Travelers is one of the most well-known personal insurance companies operating in the United States. It’s also one of the largest. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), in 2020 Travelers was the sixth largest property and casualty insurer in the US, with more than $28 billion in premiums written. This translates into roughly 4 percent of the entire US market. Travelers offers home, auto, and a variety of other types of insurance geared toward individuals.
Travelers is headquartered in New York City and maintains field offices in every state, including major offices in Hartford, CT and St. Paul, Minnesota.
What people say about Travelers
What we like about Travelers
- Travelers is one of the largest and most well-known insurance companies in the US, with a 165+ year history.
- Travelers maintains an A++ rating with AM Best.
- Travelers offers both home and auto insurance, allowing for bundling.
- Travelers also offers renters, condo, landlord, boat, motorcycle, travel, pet, and wedding insurance, making them an all-in-one stop for your insurance needs.
- Travelers offers a variety of discounts that can lower your premiums.
Travelers maintains an A++ rating — the highest rating available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why do ratings matter? Companies with higher ratings have been deemed safer. That means when you hold an insurance policy with an A-rated company, you can feel confident that the carrier will be able to meet its obligations to you if you need to file a claim.
Products offered by Travelers
Travelers offers homeowners and auto insurance, as well as a number of other coverage options for individuals and businesses.
Travelers homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Other structures coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Loss of use coverage
- Personal liability coverage
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Travelers auto insurance options
- Liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP insurance)
- Medical payments coverage
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read our Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Travelers
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Boat and yacht insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Pet insurance
- Jewelry and valuable items coverage
- Wedding and events insurance
- Travel insurance
- Umbrella insurance
Travelers insurance coverage options
In addition to the standard home and auto insurance policies, Travelers offers a number of other types of coverage that policyholders can add to their policies as desired.
Travelers homeowners insurance coverage options
- Additional replacement cost protection coverage: If the dwelling coverage on your homeowners insurance policy is not enough to cover the full cost to repair or rebuild after a covered loss, additional replacement cost protection helps cover the gaps.
- Contents replacement cost: Personal property replacement cost coverage covers personal property at its replacement cost, regardless of depreciation, making it easier to replace your personal property after a covered loss.
- Green home coverage: For eco-conscious homeowners, green home coverage helps cover the cost of rebuilding or repairing your home with green materials after a covered loss.
- Identity fraud coverage: Identity fraud coverage provides up to $25,000 to cover the expenses of restoring your identity if you have experienced fraud or identity theft.
- Personal articles floater: For homeowners that have particularly valuable items, a personal articles floater will provide additional coverage for specific items.
- Special personal property coverage: Special personal property coverage provides broader protection for your possessions and covers your personal property in more situations than a regular homeowners insurance policy.
- Water backup and sump pump discharge or overflow coverage: This coverage protects you in the event of an unexpected sewer or drain backup. It is important to note that this type of coverage is separate and distinct from flood insurance.
Travelers auto insurance coverage options
- Accident forgiveness: This add-on allows you to have one accident forgiven within a period of time, which can protect you from increased premiums.
- Loan/lease gap insurance: If you have an auto loan or lease, gap insurance pays off any balance on the loan or lease in the event that your vehicle is totaled.
- New car replacement: For policyholders with new cars, new car replacement coverage will replace your car with a brand new car in the same make and model in the event that the car is totaled within its first five years.
- Named non-owner insurance: This is a form of auto insurance for drivers who don’t own their own cars, such as those who drive a company car or those who use car-sharing services.
- Rental coverage: This coverage will help you cover the cost of a rental car in the event that your car is damaged in a covered accident and cannot be used for at least 24 hours.
- Roadside assistance: Roadside assistance coverage helps you when you find yourself stranded due to certain unexpected problems, such as a dead battery or flat tire.
Travelers homeowners insurance discounts
Travelers offers a variety of potential discounts that can help lower your premiums, including:
- Green home discount: Homeowners whose homes are certified “green” by the Leadership Energy & Environmental Design Organization (LEED) can save up to 5%.
- Homebuyers discount: Homeowners who have purchased their home within the past year can receive a discount.
- Loss-free discount: Homeowners with travelers insurance policies who do not experience losses for specified periods of time can lower their premiums automatically.
- Multi-policy discount: Homeowners who hold homeowners insurance and at least three other types of coverage with Travelers can save up to 12%.
- Protective device discount: Installing various protective devices (such as smoke detectors, security systems, and other devices) can lower their premiums.
Travelers auto insurance discounts
Travelers offers the following discounts for auto insurance as applicable:
- Continuous insurance discount: Drivers with no gaps in their insurance coverage can save up to 15%.
- Driver training discount: New drivers who complete a diving education program that is approved by Travelers can receive a discount of up to 8%.
- Early quote discount: Drivers who are new to Travelers can save between 3% and 10% if they get a Travelers quote before their current policy expires.
- Good student discount: Young drivers who are still in high school can earn a good student discount by maintaining at least a “B” average in all of their classes, or by being in the top 20% of their graduating class.
- Homeownership discount: Homeowners can receive a discount of up to 5%, even if the homeowners insurance policy is not with Travelers.
- Hybrid/electric vehicle discount: Policyholders with electric or hybrid vehicles can receive a discount on their auto insurance rates.
- Multi-car discount: Drivers who insure two or more vehicles with Travelers can save up to 8%.
- Multi-policy discount: Drivers who bundle their auto insurance with other Travelers policies (such as homeowners or renters insurance) can receive additional discounts.
- New car discount: Drivers who purchase a car that is less than three years old can receive a discount of up to 10%.
- Safe driver discount: Drivers with a clean record (no accidents or violations) can receive a discount of up to 10%.
- Student away at school discount: This discount is for parents who have their children listed on their policy and whose children are enrolled at a school at least 100 miles from home. Because those children are not using the vehicles, their parents can receive a discount of up to 7%.
How to cancel your Travelers policy
If you’d like to cancel your Travelers insurance policy, all you need to do is call the company, speak with a representative, and request a cancellation. If you live near a local office, you can also stop by the office and request a cancellation in person.
It is important to note that you may be required to pay an early-cancelation fee, depending on your contract. In the event that you have paid any portion of your premiums ahead of time, you may also be entitled to a reimbursement.
Before canceling your homeowners or auto insurance, you’ll want to have coverage lined up with another insurance carrier. This will ensure that you do not have any gaps in your insurance that would otherwise put you and your family at risk.
Matic matches you with the best policy for the best price from our network of 40+ A-rated carriers, including Travelers.
Get a personalized home or auto insurance quote in seconds or call (833) 382-1304.