A better way to shop home insurance
Discover the digital insurance marketplace designed to help you buy in a matter of minutes.
What is home insurance?
A home insurance policy protects you financially from disasters and accidents related to your home or property. With this, you pay a premium in exchange for different types of coverage.
What does home insurance cover?
The extent of your coverage will vary based on the policy you have. With a standard home insurance policy, here are the basic levels of coverage.
Also known as dwelling coverage, home structure coverage protects the primary physical structure of your home — not its contents or land.
Coverage for your personal property will help replace belongings such as furniture and electronics in the event of a covered loss.
Personal liability coverage protects against medical and legal fees incurred by guests and visitors injured at your home.
Home insurance generally pays for living expenses — like a hotel or rent — if you’re displaced from your home after a covered event.
What typically isn't covered under home insurance?
- Flood damage
- Sewer backups or sewer line repairs
- Mechanical breakdown — like when an appliance is damaged
- Pest infestations
- General wear and tear
- Acts of war
- Foundation damage
- Intentional loss
Did you know? Coverage for water and sewer backups isn’t typically part of a standard homeowners insurance policy, but can be easily added. You can also purchase flood insurance and earthquake insurance separately.
How to buy homeowners insurance
- Get a range of quotes from top-rated carriers to ensure you’re getting the right coverage at the best price.
- Compare policies and coverage options. Also consider bundling with your auto insurance policy, which could save you even more.
What you need to know to get an accurate quote
Your homeowners insurance quote is based on a variety of factors — like your home details, claims history, and property information. For the most accurate quote, have this information handy before you begin shopping:
- What is the assessed market value of the property?
- Do you plan to rent this property to others?
- Is the property in a designated high risk flood zone?
General home details
- What is the style of the home (ranch, craftsman, victorian, etc.)?
- When was the home built?
Home exterior details
- What type of construction is the home (frame, masonry, etc.)?
- What are the exterior walls made of (vinyl, brick, stone, wood, etc.)?
- What is the shape of the roof, the material, and the last time it was updated?
Home interior details
- When was the electrical wiring last updated?
- Does it have circuit breakers or a fuse box?
- When was the plumbing last updated?
- When was the heating/air conditioning last updated?
Current insurance information
- Who is your current carrier?
- Have you had to file any claims?
- Has your insurance ever been canceled or declined?
- Are there fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and/or deadbolts in the home?
- Is there a sprinkler system or security system on the property?
- For a full list of discounts you could be eligible for, read about 18 common homeowners insurance discounts here »
How to compare homeowners insurance quotes
Many homeowners only consider the price of homeowners insurance when choosing a policy — but that could be a mistake. The cheapest quote may not always be the best option for you. Here are a few other factors to compare:
- The cost of the policy.
- Coverage types, limits, and deductibles.
- The carrier’s history, trustworthiness, and responsiveness.
- Optional coverages.
Matic makes it easy to compare policies from 40+ top-rated insurance carriers and will recommend the best policy for you based on all of these factors.
Get the best policy for your unique needs by asking the right questions
Questions to consider for yourself
- Will my current coverage still cover all of my personal property, or have my needs changed since I last selected a policy?
- Is my coverage comprehensive enough to adequately protect my family and my property?
- Do I have any valuables such as jewelry that would require additional coverage? If you do, you may want to consider a special jewelry policy.
- If I can’t stay in my home because of property damage, will my current coverage for Additional Living Expenses cover the cost of temporary housing for at least six months?
Questions to ask your insurance agent
- Do I qualify for any discounts?
- Are there any special rules or exclusions that apply to the state I live in that affect my home insurance coverage?
- If I live in an area where natural disasters — like hurricanes — are common, are there any special deductibles for those in my policy?
Browse and buy your policy in minutes
Matic simplifies this process by comparing over 40 A-rated carriers within seconds to find you the best policy at the best price, and saves customers on average $537 per year*. You have the option to sign up for your policy online by filling out a form or speaking to a licensed agent over the phone – and there are no hidden fees!
Our network of A-rated home insurance carriers
An A rating should be the first thing you look for as you research potential insurance companies. Matic only works with A-rated carriers, because quality matters to us. We want you to feel confident that your carrier will be able to meet its obligations to you if you need to file a claim.