Auto insurance, simplified
We shop A-rated auto insurance carriers so you don’t have to.
What is auto insurance?
Your auto insurance protects you in the event of a car accident or theft. In exchange for a premium, an insurance carrier pays your losses according to the terms of your policy.
What does auto insurance cover?
The amount of coverage can vary depending on the policy you choose. Here are some of the most common coverage options offered by carriers.
If you’re responsible for an accident, liability car insurance protects you.
Car collision coverage helps pay for repairs if your vehicle is damaged in an accident.
This covers auto damage caused by incidents other than collisions like theft or hail.
Coverage for auto and medical bills if you’re in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.
Also known as no-fault insurance, this helps pay for medical expenses caused by a car accident.
Added coverage options include rental cars in the event of an accident and roadside assistance.
What doesn't auto insurance cover?
- General wear and tear
- Intentional damage
- Routine auto maintenance and repairs
- Drivers not listed on your policy
- Commercial use of your car
- Stolen personal items
Did you know? If you have a recreational vehicle — like a motorhome, travel trailer, or camper — you may need a specific type of insurance, called RV insurance, to cover it. Learn more about when you might need RV insurance.
How to compare auto insurance quotes online
Choosing the right car insurance is more than selecting the cheapest policy. Your policy must offer adequate coverage and meet your budget. Some of the key factors to consider include:
- Types of coverage and level you need.
- The premium rate.
- Deductible and policy limits.
- The carrier’s ratings, reviews, and responsiveness.
With Matic, you can compare quotes from over 40 A-rated carriers in minutes. Our insurance advisors will even break down policy details to help you choose the best option.
Ask the right questions to find the best auto insurance for you
Questions to consider for yourself
- What is my commute? Where do I park? Consider these day-to-day activities to help determine the amount of coverage you need.
- Who else will be driving my car?
- Do I need any additional coverage like gap or commercial?
Questions to ask your agent
- Do I qualify for any savings or discounts?
- Are there coverage requirements for my state?
- What isn’t covered on my auto insurance policy?