Stillwater Homeowners & Auto Insurance Review
Are you considering purchasing a homeowners or auto insurance policy from Stillwater? Here, we take a closer look at their offerings and give you our honest review, so that you can make a more informed decision as you shop for home and auto insurance.
Stillwater Insurance was founded in 2000 as the Fidelity National Property and Casualty Insurance Group, a division of Fidelity National Financial, the country’s largest provider of commercial and residential title and mortgage services. In 2012, post Hurricane Katrina, FNF sold 85 percent of its stake in the insurance business, and the remaining 15 percent stake in 2016. At that time, the company was rebranded as Stillwater.
Stillwater maintains an A- (Excellent) rating from AM Best and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, reflecting their financial strength and commitment to transparency, responsiveness, integrity, and service. Today, Stillwater offers homeowners, condo, renters, auto, landlord, personal umbrella, and other insurance products for both individuals and businesses throughout the United States. Stillwater has offices in Jacksonville, FL, Omaha, NE, Santa Barbara, CA and Jericho, NY.
What people say about Stillwater
What we like about Stillwater
- Stillwater maintains an A- (Excellent) rating with AM Best.
- Stillwater survived the unprecedented challenges brought by hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, and Rita in 2005, just five years after the company’s inception, without defaulting on its obligations to policyholders.
- Customers can bundle home and auto insurance (among other options) to save.
- Stillwater offers a number of discounts that customers can leverage to lower their monthly premiums.
Stillwater maintains an A- (Excellent) rating — one of the highest ratings available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why do ratings matter? Companies with higher ratings have been deemed safer. That means that when you hold an insurance policy with an A-rated company, you can feel confident that the carrier will be able to meet its obligations to you if you need to file a claim.
Products offered by Stillwater
Stillwater offers homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and a variety of additional coverage options for individuals and businesses.
Stillwater homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Other structures coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Medical payments to others
- Personal liability coverage
- Loss of use/additional living expenses coverage
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Stillwater auto insurance options
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read our Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Stillwater
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Business insurance
Stillwater insurance coverage options
In addition to the standard home and auto insurance policies, Stillwater offers a number of other types of coverage that policyholders can add to their policies as desired.
Stillwater homeowners insurance coverage options
- Extended replacement cost coverage: provides additional coverage for the repair or reconstruction of your home in the event that it is damaged in a catastrophic event that causes prices of building materials and/or labor to increase.
- Personal property replacement cost coverage: provides coverage of personal property at replacement cost, rather than the property’s depreciated value.
- Scheduled personal property: provides open perils coverage for specifically-named items.
- Personal injury coverage: provides coverage that pays for expenses related to libel, slander, detention, false arrest, or wrongful eviction.
- Animal liability coverage: provides limited coverage if your pets cause bodily harm or property damage to individuals who do not reside in your home.
- Identity theft expense recoupment: provides coverage to restore your identity after identity theft, and resources to prevent identity theft.
- Water backup coverage: coverage to help pay for cleanup, repair, and replacement of items if your home’s sump pump stops working or if water or sewage backs up through your drains.
Stillwater auto insurance coverage options
- Rental car reimbursement: helps you pay for a rental car if you need one while your car is being repaired after an accident.
- Towing coverage: covers the cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest repair shop if you break down on the side of the road.
- Medical payments coverage: provides coverage in the event that you need medical treatments as a result of an accident.
- Personal injury protection coverage: provides coverage for medical bills for any individual injured in your car during an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
Stillwater homeowners insurance discounts
Stillwater offers a variety of homeowners insurance discounts that you can take advantage of to lower the cost of your premiums, including:
- Multi-policy discount: homeowners can save by bundling their homeowners insurance with an auto, umbrella policy from Stillwater.
- New home purchase: you could receive a discount for a new home purchase, regardless of the age of the home.
- Newly built home discount: you may qualify for a significant discount if your home is newly built or under 15 years old.
- Protective devices discount: you may qualify for a discount if you install home protection devices such as central fire alarms, automatic sprinklers, burglar alarms, or security systems.
- Roof-type discount: depending on the type and age of your roof, you may qualify for a discount.
- Secured community/building discount: if your home is situated in a community with extra security, such as a gated community, you may qualify for a discount.
- Claim-free discount: you may qualify for a discount by remaining claim-free for a certain period of time.
Stillwater auto insurance discounts
Stillwater offers the following discounts for auto insurance as applicable:
- Paid-in-full discount: earn a discount by paying your policy in full up front.
- Accident/violation-free discount: you may qualify for a discount by staying accident free for a certain period of time.
- Good driver discount: you may earn a discount by maintaining a clean driving record.
- Multi-car discount: drivers can earn a discount by insuring two or more vehicles on the same policy.
- Multi-policy discount: drivers can save by bundling their auto insurance with homeowners, renters, umbrella, or another type of coverage offered by Stillwater.
- Good student discount: students who maintain a B average (or higher) may qualify for a good student discount.
- Paperless discount: you may qualify for a discount by opting to receive electronic instead of paper statements
How to cancel your Stillwater policy
To cancel an existing Stillwater homeowners or auto insurance policy, all you need to do is contact your insurance agent and request a cancellation. You may also be able to cancel your policy by logging into your account on the Stillwater website.
It’s important to note that you may be required to pay an early-cancellation fee, depending on your contract. In the event that you have paid any portion of your premiums ahead of time, you may also be entitled to a reimbursement.
Before canceling your homeowners or auto insurance, you’ll want to have coverage lined up with another insurance carrier. This will ensure that you do not have any gaps in your insurance that would otherwise put you and your family at risk.
Matic matches you with the best policy for the best price from our network of 40+ A-rated carriers, including Stillwater.
Get a personalized home or auto insurance quote in seconds or call (833) 382-1304.