Mercury Home & Auto Insurance Review
Mercury is an insurance carrier that provides homeowners and auto insurance. If you’re considering purchasing a policy from Mercury and have questions, we’ve got you covered. Read our thorough, honest review, so you can make a confident decision.
Mercury was founded in California in 1961 by George Joseph, who wanted to create a low-cost insurance carrier that could act as an alternative to industry giants. The company offers home, auto, condo, renters, landlord, and business insurance, among other products.
As of 2021, Mercury had more than $5.9 billion in total assets underwritten. The state of California currently accounts for approximately 86 percent of the company’s business, where it is the sixth largest insurer of private passenger automobiles in California. Mercury also sells policies in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia.
Mercury is currently headquartered in Los Angeles, California, but maintains offices in other states as well.
What people say about Mercury
What we like about Mercury
- Mercury has been in business since 1961, giving it a 60-year track record of meeting its obligations to policyholders. The carrier was also named one of America’s Best Insurance Companies for 2022 by Forbes.
- Mercury has more than $5.9 billion in assets underwritten, and is one of the largest and most financially secure carriers by market share in the state of California.
- Mercury maintains an A Excellent rating with AM Best.
- Mercury offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, and other insurance products, making them a good fit for individuals looking for multiple policies.
- Mercury offers multiple discounts that policyholders can take advantage of to lower their premiums.
- Mercury guarantees repairs for as long as you own the vehicle when you choose a Mercury authorized repair shop.
Mercury maintains an A Excellent rating — one of the highest ratings available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why should you care about ratings? Ratings help you gauge the overall financial health of an insurance carrier. Companies with higher ratings have been deemed safer, so you know you’re choosing a company that will be able to meet its obligations to policyholders.
Products offered by Mercury
Mercury offers auto and homeowners insurance, as well as a variety of other coverage options for individuals and businesses.
Mercury homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Loss of use coverage
- Liability coverage
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Mercury auto insurance options
- Liability coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read our Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Mercury
- Umbrella insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Business owners insurance
- Business auto insurance
Where is Mercury insurance offered?
Mercury currently offers its home and auto insurance products in several states. See the chart below for more information about the types of insurance Mercury offers in each state through Matic.
|District of Columbia (DC)|