Mercury Home & Auto Insurance Review
Mercury is an insurance carrier that provides homeowners and auto insurance. If you’re considering purchasing a policy from Mercury and have questions, we’ve got you covered. Read our thorough, honest review, so you can make a confident decision.
Mercury was founded in California in 1961 by George Joseph, who wanted to create a low-cost insurance carrier that could act as an alternative to industry giants. The company offers home, auto, condo, renters, landlord, and business insurance, among other products.
As of 2021, Mercury had more than $5.9 billion in total assets underwritten. The state of California currently accounts for approximately 86 percent of the company’s business, where it is the sixth largest insurer of private passenger automobiles in California. Mercury also sells policies in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas, and Virginia.
Mercury is currently headquartered in Los Angeles, California, but maintains offices in other states as well.
What people say about Mercury
What we like about Mercury
- Mercury has been in business since 1961, giving it a 60-year track record of meeting its obligations to policyholders. The carrier was also named one of America’s Best Insurance Companies for 2022 by Forbes.
- Mercury has more than $5.9 billion in assets underwritten, and is one of the largest and most financially secure carriers by market share in the state of California.
- Mercury maintains an A Excellent rating with AM Best.
- Mercury offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, and other insurance products, making them a good fit for individuals looking for multiple policies.
- Mercury offers multiple discounts that policyholders can take advantage of to lower their premiums.
- Mercury guarantees repairs for as long as you own the vehicle when you choose a Mercury authorized repair shop.
Mercury maintains an A Excellent rating — one of the highest ratings available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why should you care about ratings? Ratings help you gauge the overall financial health of an insurance carrier. Companies with higher ratings have been deemed safer, so you know you’re choosing a company that will be able to meet its obligations to policyholders.
Products offered by Mercury
Mercury offers auto and homeowners insurance, as well as a variety of other coverage options for individuals and businesses.
Mercury homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Loss of use coverage
- Liability coverage
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Mercury auto insurance options
- Liability coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read our Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Mercury
- Umbrella insurance
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Business owners insurance
- Business auto insurance
Mercury coverage options
In addition to the standard options, Mercury offers a number of other types of optional coverage for both homeowners and auto policies.
Mercury homeowners insurance coverage options
- Extended replacement cost: Additional coverage of up to 150% of your dwelling’s policy limit to help you repair or rebuild your home in the event of a covered loss.
- Additional personal property coverage: Additional coverage to help you repair or replace high-value items such as jewelry, fine art, collectibles, or antiques.
- Identity theft protection: Coverage to help you pay for expenses you experience as the result of identity theft.
- Home systems protection: Coverage to help repair or replace covered appliances and other home systems.
- Home cyber protection: Coverage designed to protect you from losses as a result of compromised data on your personal computer, mobile device, and other connected devices.
- Service line protection: Coverage to help pay for repairs to your home’s water, gas, electric, and sewer service lines.
Mercury auto insurance coverage options
- Ride-hailing coverage: Coverage for drivers who drive for ridesharing services such as Uber or Lyft.
- Rental car coverage: Coverage to help you pay for a rental vehicle if your car is unusable while being repaired after a covered event.
- Roadside assistance: Coverage to help you in the event you experience a breakdown while driving. Includes towing, locksmith, tire change, and more.
Mercury homeowners insurance discounts
Mercury offers policyholders the following discounts they can use to lower their monthly premiums (may not be available in all states):
- Multi-policy discount: Homeowners who bundle home and auto coverage (amongst other types of coverage) can save.
- Protective device discount: Installing various protective devices (such as smoke detectors, security systems, and other devices) can help lower your premiums.
- Fire-resistant construction materials: Homeowners whose homes are built with fire-retardant materials may be eligible for a discount.
- New home construction: If you are insuring a new home, you may qualify for a discount. Typically, the newer your home, the larger your discount will be.
- Secured community/building discount: If your home is situated in a community with extra security, such as a gated community, you may qualify for a discount.
Mercury auto insurance discounts
Mercury also offers drivers a number of discounts that can help lower monthly premiums on auto insurance, including:
- Pay in full discount: When you pay for the entire period in full, instead of monthly installments, you’ll earn a discount.
- Autopay discount: Drivers who sign up for autopay may receive a discount on their premiums.
- Anti-theft discount: You may earn a discount by installing an anti-theft device, such as an alarm or other safety device, in your vehicle.
- Multi-policy discount: Drivers who bundle their auto insurance with homeowners insurance can receive additional discounts.
- Multi-car discount: Drivers who insure two or more vehicles with Mercury can save.
- Good driver discount: You may qualify for a discount by staying accident free for a certain period of time.
- Good student discount: Young drivers who are still in high school can earn a good student discount by maintaining at least a “B” average in all of their classes.
How to cancel your Mercury policy
If you decide to cancel your Mercury policy, you can send a written request using the email address associated with your policy, or call your Mercury agent. You will be refunded any unused portion of the premium minus any applicable fees. If you are unsure of your rights or obligations, you should speak to your agent.
Before canceling your homeowners or auto insurance, you’ll want to have coverage lined up with another insurance carrier. This will ensure that you don’t have any gaps in your insurance that would otherwise put you and your family at risk.
Matic matches you with the best policy for the best price from our network of 40+ A-rated carriers, including Mercury.
Get a personalized home or auto insurance quote in seconds or call (833) 382-1304.