Universal Property & Casualty Homeowners Insurance Review
Are you considering purchasing a homeowners insurance policy through Universal Property & Casualty Company? Find everything you need to know about the coverage they offer and get our honest review to help you make an informed decision.
About Universal Property
Universal Property and Casualty Insurance Company (UPCIC) was founded in 1997 in Florida, where the company accounts for roughly 10 percent of all homeowners insurance policies. UPCIC is a publicly traded company.
Universal Property is a subsidiary of parent company Universal Insurance Holdings, Inc., which also includes American Platinum Property and Casualty Insurance (APPCIC), Alder Adjusting Company, and Wicklow Inspection Corporation.
Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Universal Property offers homeowners insurance policies in 18 states through Matic.
Headquarters Fort Lauderdale, FL
Customer Service (800) 425-9113
What people say about Universal Property
What we like about Universal Property
- Universal Property maintains an A (Exceptional) rating with Demotech.
- Universal Property offers homeowners, condo, renters, and landlord insurance.
- Universal Property offers a variety of discounts that customers can use to lower their monthly payments.
- Universal Property has the backing of Universal Insurance Holdings, Inc.
- Founded in 1997, Universal Property has 24 years of history demonstrating its financial stability and track record paying out claims to policyholders.
Universal Property rating
Universal Property maintains an A (Exceptional) rating — one of the highest ratings available — with Demotech, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why do ratings matter? Ratings are a way of scoring insurance carriers. Companies with higher ratings have been deemed safer. That means you can feel confident in the fact that an A-rated carrier will be able to meet its obligations to you if you ever need to file a claim.
Learn more about the importance of choosing an A-rated insurance carrier »
Products offered by Universal Property
Universal Property offers homeowners insurance and related residential policies.
Universal Property homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Other structures coverage
- Additional living expenses coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Personal liability coverage
- Medical payments to others
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Universal Property
- Condo insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
Where is Universal Property insurance offered?
Universal Property offers its homeowners insurance products throughout the United States. See the chart below for more information about the types of insurance Universal Property offers in each state through Matic.
|District of Columbia (DC)|
|New Hampshire (NH)|
|New Jersey (NJ)|
|New Mexico (NM)|
|New York (NY)|
|North Carolina (NC)|
|North Dakota (ND)|
|Rhode Island (RI)|
|South Carolina (SC)|
|South Dakota (SD)|
|West Virginia (WV)|
Universal Property insurance coverage options
In addition to the standard home insurance policies outlined above, Universal Property offers a number of other types of coverage that policyholders can add to their policies as desired. Availability may vary by state.
Universal Property homeowners insurance coverage options
- Personal property replacement cost coverage: Provides coverage for personal property at replacement cost, regardless of any depreciation your belongings may have experienced.
- Water backup and sump pump discharge or overflow coverage: This coverage protects you in the event of an unexpected water, sewer, or drain backup or discharge. It is important to note that this type of coverage is separate and distinct from flood insurance.
- Animal liability coverage: Provides limited coverage if your pets cause bodily harm or property damage to individuals who do not reside in your home.
- Service line coverage: Coverage to help pay for replacement or repair of damaged wires or pipes.
- Schedule personal property coverage: Open perils coverage for specifically-named items.
- Debris removal coverage: Provides coverage in the event that you have debris that needs to be removed from your property.
- Mechanical breakdown coverage: Provides coverage for mechanical and electrical components of the home that may break down, including home security monitoring devices, air conditioning, HVAC, and more.
- Ordinance or law coverage: In the event that your home has been damaged or destroyed, provides coverage to upgrade the structure to meet the most up-to-date building codes, laws, or ordinances.
Universal Property insurance discounts
Universal Property homeowners insurance discounts
Universal Property offers a variety of homeowners insurance discounts that you can take advantage of to lower the cost of your premiums, including:
- Prior insurance discount: Universal Property may reward your loyalty if you maintained consistent coverage with your prior insurer. (This can be a way of recouping loyalty discounts that you were receiving from your previous insurer.)
- Claims free discount: If you avoid filing a claim against your homeowners insurance policy, you may qualify for a discount.
- Loyalty discount: The longer you maintain your policy with Universal Property, the greater the loyalty discount you may be eligible for.
- New roof discount: Newer roofs and those built of particular materials may qualify for a discount.
- Burglar and fire alarm discount: You may qualify for a discount if you install a burglar or fire alarm system in your home.
- Sprinkler system discount: You may qualify for a discount if you install a sprinkler system in your home.
- Fortified home discount: Available to homes that were specifically designed to withstand damage caused by severe weather such as high winds, hail, or hurricanes.
- Occupants over the age of 65 discount: If you are over the age of 65, you may qualify for a discount on your homeowners insurance policy.
How to cancel your Universal Property insurance policy
Looking to cancel your existing Universal Property homeowners insurance policy? All you need to do is contact your insurance agent and request a cancellation.
It’s important to note that you may be required to pay an early-cancellation fee, depending on your contract. In the event that you have paid any portion of your premiums ahead of time, you may also be entitled to a reimbursement.
Before canceling your homeowners insurance, you’ll want to have coverage lined up with another insurance carrier. This will ensure that you do not have any gaps in your insurance that would otherwise put you and your family at risk.
Matic matches you with the best policy for the best price from our network of 40+ A-rated carriers, including Universal Property.
Get a personalized home or auto insurance quote in seconds or call (833) 382-1304.