Safeco Homeowners & Auto Insurance Review
Are you considering purchasing homeowners or auto insurance through Safeco? Below, we take a closer look at Safeco to answer common questions that potential customers have about this carrier. We also give our honest and unbiased review so that you can decide which carrier and policy is right for you.
Safeco was founded in Seattle, Washington in 1923 by Hawthorne K. Dent. At the time, the company was known as the General Insurance Company of America, and commonly referred to as “The General.”
In 1953, the company created a subsidiary called Selective Auto and Fire Insurance Company of America (SAFECO). By the 1960s, SAFECO became so popular that The General actually took the step to rename itself Safeco Corporation. Today, Safeco is a subsidiary of the life insurance company Liberty Mutual, which purchased the company in 2008.
Safeco is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, but has offices and independent agents around the country. The company currently offers homeowners and auto insurance policies in all 50 states plus Washington, DC.
What people say about Safeco
What we like about Safeco
- Safeco has nearly 100 years of history as an insurance company. They have survived two world wars, major economic recessions, and have never failed to pay out when it mattered most for their customers.
- Safeco is owned and backed by the well known and trusted life insurance company Liberty Mutual.
- Safeco maintains an A (Excellent) rating with AM Best.
- Safeco offers both homeowners and auto insurance, as well as other insurance products such as motorcycle and boat insurance.
- Customers can bundle together multiple Safeco policies (such as home and auto) to qualify for a discount.
- Safeco offers a number of other discounts that customers can use to lower their monthly payments.
Safeco maintains an A (Excellent) rating — one of the highest ratings available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Why do ratings matter? Companies with higher ratings are seen as safer. When you hold an insurance policy with an A-rated company, you can feel confident that the carrier will be able to meet its obligations to you if you need to file a claim. Safeco’s high rating demonstrates that it is a financially fit and stable company.
Products offered by Safeco
Safeco offers homeowners and auto insurance, as well as motorcycle and boat and watercraft insurance for individuals.
Safeco homeowners insurance options
- Dwelling coverage
- Other structures coverage
- Personal property coverage
- Personal liability coverage
- Additional living expenses coverage
- Medical payments to others
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
Safeco auto insurance options
Safeco’s standard auto insurance policy includes the following types of coverage automatically:
- Liability coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP Insurance)
- Medical payments coverage
- Property damage coverage
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read out Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by Safeco
- Motorcycle insurance
- Recreational vehicle (RV) insurance
- Golf cart & low-speed vehicle insurance
- Condo insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Boat & watercraft insurance
- ATV & off-road vehicle insurance
- Renters insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Pet health insurance
- Classic car insurance
Where is Safeco insurance offered?
Safeco offers its home and auto insurance products throughout the United States. See the chart below for more information about the types of insurance Safeco offers in each state through Matic.
|District of Columbia (DC)|