How Much Does Home Insurance Cost? Get Your Personalized Estimate
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, the average home insurance premium for a standard policy in 2017 was about $1,200, or roughly $100 per month. That being said, a number of factors will influence the cost of your policy, including:
- Where you live: The cost of home insurance can vary significantly depending on the region, state, and city you live in.
- The age of your home: Older homes often come with higher insurance price tags.
- How much coverage you have: Generally speaking, the more coverage you purchase, the higher your monthly premiums will be.
- Your deductible: The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly premiums will be; the lower your deductible, the higher your monthly premiums will be.
- Prior insurance claims: If you have a history of making claims, this can be held against you, just as it might if you were buying car insurance.
Of course, this isn’t a comprehensive list; insurance carriers use many factors to set your prices.
Get a personalized estimate
To better understand what your policy might cost, you can use our free home insurance calculator. Simply input your address to get a personalized estimate, or adjust the details of your property to get a more accurate assessment. Once you have an estimate, you can get a real quote from our network of 30+ A-rated carriers in less than a minute.
Matic’s tool uses a proprietary machine learning algorithm and a data set of over one million insurance records from real houses and carriers to get you an accurate home insurance estimate.
The average cost of home insurance by state
Another way to understand what home insurance costs is to look at the average cost for your state, since your location is a big factor in determining your premium. Take a look at the breakdown of the average cost of home insurance in every state, based on Matic’s policies from 2020.
|State||Average Home Insurance Premium|
Wondering if you have the best home insurance rate? At Matic, we’re here to help make the process as easy as possible. In just a few seconds, you can get your own personalized quote and begin saving today.