State Auto Homeowners & Auto Insurance Review
Are you considering State Auto® for your homeowners or auto insurance needs? Find everything you need to know about purchasing a policy and get our honest review so you can make an informed decision.
About State Auto
State Auto was founded in 1921. In the 100 years since its founding, State Auto has expanded its offerings to include not only auto insurance, but also homeowners insurance, condo insurance, renters insurance, umbrella insurance, and other types of policies. The company offers individual insurance in 28 states through Matic, with more than $2 billion in premiums written.
State Auto is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio.
What people say about State Auto
What we like about State Auto
- With a 100-year history, State Auto has proven that they are a reliable, trusted company that is capable of surviving over the long haul. The carrier was also named one of America’s Best Insurance Companies for 2022 by Forbes.
- State Auto maintains an A- rating with AM Best.
- State Auto offers both auto insurance, as the company’s name implies, as well as homeowners insurance.
- Customers can bundle auto insurance with home, auto, or renters insurance (among other options).
- State Auto offers a number of discounts that customers can leverage to lower their monthly premiums.
State Auto rating
State Auto maintains an A- rating — one of the highest ratings available — with AM Best, one of the largest credit rating agencies in the insurance industry.
Ratings are a way of scoring insurance carriers to determine their financial health and creditworthiness. When you hold an insurance policy with an A-rated company, you’ll know that the carrier can meet its obligations to you if you need to file a claim — since A-rated carriers are generally safest.
Products offered by State Auto
State Auto offers homeowners insurance, auto insurance, and a variety of additional coverage options for businesses and individuals.
State Auto homeowners insurance options
State Auto offers three levels of homeowners insurance coverage: Standard, Protection Plus, and Premier.
Standard is their basic home protection, which covers:
- Dwelling coverage
- Other structures coverage
- Additional living expenses
- Loss of use coverage
- Personal liability coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- ID theft protection
- Personal property coverage (at replacement cost)
Protection Plus offers everything included in the Standard policy, plus:
- Lock replacement: to cover the cost of replacing the locks to your home if you lose your keys
- Freezer contents: to replace up to $1,000 worth of freezer or refrigerator contents lost due to a power outage or appliance breakdown
- Golf cart rental coverage: which provides protection for damage to a golf cart you rent, as well as limited liability coverage
Premier offers everything included in Protection Plus, and also offers high-limit protection to special items such as jewelry, collectibles, fine art, silverware, etc. Premier also provides a certain level of coverage for liability an individual incurs while acting as a volunteer. State Auto also offers a variety of extra coverage options to meet your unique needs. See the “homeowners insurance coverage options” section for more details.
For more information about homeowners insurance and coverage definitions, read our Homeowners Insurance 101 guide.
State Auto auto insurance options
State Auto also offers three levels of auto insurance coverage: Standard, AutoXtended Plus, and AutoXtended Premier.
Standard is their basic auto protection, which covers:
- Liability coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Personal injury protection (PIP insurance)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage
- Collision coverage
- Other than collision
AutoXtended Plus includes everything included in the Standard policy, plus:
- Rented vehicle coverage
- Accident forgiveness & minor violation coverage
- Waived other than collision (OTC), UMPD, and collision deductibles
- Ability to add full safety glass coverage
- $500 cell phone coverage
- $250 locksmith/key replacement
- $500 pet coverage
- $10,000 emergency ambulance coverage
AutoXtended Premier includes everything included in the AutoXtended Plus policy, as well as high-limit protection:
- $1,000 cell phone coverage
- $500 locksmith/key replacement
- $750 pet coverage
- $25,000 emergency ambulance
For more information about auto insurance and coverage definitions, read our Auto Insurance 101 guide.
Other insurance products offered by State Auto
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Dwelling fire coverage
- Umbrella insurance
- Yacht and pleasure boat coverage
Where is State Auto insurance offered?
State Auto offers its home and auto insurance products throughout the United States. See the chart below for more information about the types of insurance State Auto offers in each state through Matic.
|District of Columbia (DC)|
|New Hampshire (NH)|
|New Jersey (NJ)|
|New Mexico (NM)|
|New York (NY)|
|North Carolina (NC)|
|North Dakota (ND)|